ESR in men: normal and abnormal
Very often in the analysis results, people seesuch an abbreviation as ESR. This indicator may indicate the presence of various diseases. Such an analysis is done in any laboratory at public and private hospitals, it is carried out easily and simply, and therefore is very popular in identifying certain ailments. Today we learn what is ESR, for men the norm is fixed, and also what the decrease or increase of this indicator indicates.
How to read the shortcut?
The abbreviation of ESR stands for "speederythrocyte sedimentation. "It should be noted that this is a very important indicator of the state of human health, the analysis is being done to determine whether pathologic processes are present in the body or not .The index of ESR can, of course, vary, which allows it to be used for diagnostic purposes , and also it gives an opportunity to evaluate the effectiveness of this or that therapy.And the deviation of the value from the norm will speak about acute or chronic inflammation, the presence of a tumor or other ailment in the body.
The reasons for the increase in the indicator
There are cases when the rate of ESR in the blood of men raised, it can talk about the emergence ofsome unfavorable process in the body. This indicator can even warn the doctor about the disease before the first signs of it. Therefore, if the rate of ESR in the blood of men is increased, then it is necessary to undergo a detailed examination.
This test can be the basis for establishing a specific diagnosis. It will be useful if you find a large number of ailments:
- Arthritis, rheumatism.
- Skin infections.
- The ailments of the thyroid gland.
- Various purulent, inflammatory processes.
- Dying of tissues.
- Infections of the heart and its valves.
- Diseases of the kidneys, liver and bile ducts.
- Continuous infection (presence of an unclear nature in the body of an inflammation).
- Malignant formation.
The reasons for the decline in the indicator
Sometimes in the practice of doctors there are situations when the values of ESR are below normal. In men, this happens with the following conditions and diseases:
- Polycythemia is a malignant tumor process in the circulatory system.
- Fasting and against this background a decrease in muscle mass.
- Insufficiency of blood circulation.
- Spherocytosis is an anomaly in which irregular leukocytes are found in the blood.
- Sickle-cell anemia.
- The use of corticosteroids.
- Diseases of the kidneys and liver.
Now we know what are the standard values of ESR inmen. The rate of this indicator varies depending on the age of the person. That is, the values can vary, while remaining within the standard framework. So, the normal limits of ESR in men are as follows:
- From 18 to 20 years - 12 mm / hour.
- From 20 to 55 years - 14 mm / hour.
- After 55 - 19-32 mm / hour.
Degrees of deviations
Divergences from acceptable parameters of ESR are divided into the following categories:
- Minor deviations, which are within the permissible limits.
- ESR in men, whose norm is exceeded by 15-30 points, indicates a violation in the body of a man - there is a presence of a not pronounced infection.
- Deviation from normal indicators by 30-60 units. This indicates the presence in the human body of a serious inflammatory process.
- The rate of ESR in the blood in men is exceeded by more than 60 units. This is the reason for an immediate visit to the doctor.
Preparation for analysis
An important point, which should be noted, is the correct preparation for the survey. Before the doctor will appoint the man to hand over the generala blood test, he should advise him, tell him about the rules of preparation. Fulfillment of the doctor's instructions will contribute to obtaining more precise results and correct interpretation of them.
So, you need to remember the following rules:
- The procedure should be performed on an empty stomach in the morning.
- The day before the event, you can not overeat, eat fatty and spicy foods, as well as various spirits.
- It is necessary to refrain from smoking at least 1 hour before taking blood.
- In the laboratory where the analysis will be conducted, there is no need to worry. It is better to rest a few minutes and calm down, because it's just a prick in the finger.
If everything is done correctly, it remains only to waitthe result of the analysis is a satisfactory indicator, the rate of ESR in a person who has donated blood is exceeded or lowered. Doctors recommend donating blood once a year to prevent the emergence of hidden health problems.
How is ESR determined?
After a specialist takes a personmaterial for analysis, the patient, he lets go, and he himself gives a reagent for diagnosis. In the laboratory, coagulate is added to the tube so that the blood does not curl, then place it for 1 hour in a narrow beaker. Erythrocytes are heavier than plasma, so they soon begin to sink to the bottom. And it turns out that the blood is divided into 2 segments: the lower and upper. And it is by the height of the plasma layer that experts evaluate the ESR in millimeters per hour.
If a person is healthy, the speed with whichthe cells go down, will be very insignificant. If the body has an inflammatory process, then the level of ESR increases. The norm in women and men of this indicator is different. This is due to the different chemical composition of the blood. If the standard values for men are 12, 14 and 32 mm / hour, then in women the acceptable figures are 4-15 mm / hour (age 20-30), 8-25 mm / hour (30-60 years) and 12-50 mm / hour (after 60 years).
Reasons that distort the result
There are factors that make the results of the analysis possible. This can be:
- If the correct choice of anticoagulant.
- If a person is not prepared for analysis.
- If the lab technician did not send blood to the laboratory in time.
- If the specialist used a too thin needle.
- If in the room where the analysis isconditions of the temperature regime are fulfilled. To obtain correct results, the study should be conducted in a cool room (18-25 degrees). At higher air temperature values, the ESR increases, and at lower values it decreases.
If at least one factor was not met, the analysis should be re-submitted in order to achieve the correct result of the study.
Now you know what this or that meansthe result of the analysis, and how the abbreviation of ESR is deciphered. In men, the norm of this indicator varies with age: the older the person, the higher the permissible values. If there are deviations from the normal value, then this indicates the presence of some disease. In order for the results of the analysis to be true, a person should correctly prepare for the procedure of laboratory research.