The reason for the red eyes. Is it all so harmless?
Everyone has come across at least once in his lifered eyes. This phenomenon does not look very nice and is accompanied by a sharp pain. This is due to the expansion of blood vessels that are close to the surface of the eye. Ignore such a symptom is not necessary, and with periodic repetition it is better to consult a doctor. The cause of red eyes can be both harmless and easily removable, and become a harbinger of a serious illness, for the elimination of which urgent medical attention is required. At the same time, the intensity of the color change does not matter.
External factors as the cause of red eyes can be as follows:
- prolonged exposure to wind or too dry air;
- ingress of dust or foreign body into the eye;
- stay in the sun for a long period of time;
- long stay behind the wheel;
- the reaction of the body caused by an allergen;
- a consequence of various injuries;
- Excessive strain on the eyes (when reading or staying at the computer).
As a rule, removal of the stimulus or changing the situation in this situation helps, because each of these causes of red eyes is not dangerous. Everything will come back to normal in a few days.
The cause of red eye, which may be a manifestation of the disease, can be one of the following:
- Conjunctivitis, which is divided into acute andchronic. The first is due to infection in the eyes. This disease is very contagious. When it is detected, it is necessary to take care of the treatment, since its absence can lead to a chronic conjunctivitis, which will periodically disturb.
- Changing (increasing) the pressure of the eye - glaucoma. In this case, there is a decrease in the clarity of vision, and pain appears. As a rule, in this situation only one eye turns red.
- Prolonged visual load in the presence of such diseases as hyperopia, myopia, astigmatism.
- Ulcers on the cornea of the eye. This disease is caused by viruses and bacteria.
- Dry eye syndrome.
"Blepharitis." It occurs because of inflammation of the eyelash follicles (when skin bacteria enter them). Outwardly this can be accompanied by the appearance of crusts on the eyelids.
- Expansion of blood vessels in hypertension.
- Incorrect selection of contact lenses or presence of defects in them.
To answer the question: "What if the eyes are red?" - it is necessary to find out the cause, which the doctor will help to determine. Usually, ophthalmologists write out special drops that can narrow the blood vessels. Also, "artificial tears" (polyvinyl alcohol) or a protective agent for the cornea can be prescribed.
"What if I have red eyes?"- People's medicine can also answer the question. Especially popular are compresses made from herbs, potato slices, a piece of ice in a kerchief and washing in strong tea.
Do not forget about the simple gymnastics for the eyes, especially those who spend a lot of time at the computer. It will help to make a small break in work and relieve tension.
If after applying these simple methods reddening does not take place within two days, then it is worthwhile to see a doctor for qualified help.