Kalatea: the leaves dry and curl. Why do kalatei dry and twist the leaves?
There is a very beautiful ornamental plant,which, above all, attracts its leaves, or rather, bizarre patterns on them. This is kalatea. Dry and twist the leaves of the plant? Does it lose its appeal? This shortage immediately becomes noticeable, and the flower growers aspire to cure the plant as soon as possible. However, in order to do this, you need to know its features.
Kalatea: description and types
Kalatea - long-term decorative herbaceousplant, reaches up to 80 cm in height. Kalatea attracts the beauty of its leaves. They are large, can be leathery, glossy, velvety. To the touch is always dense. Have up to 40 cm in length and 5-15 cm in width, there are species with leaves up to 20 cm long. In shape they are mostly oval or in the form of an ellipse, they are lanceolate. Grow directly from the rosette rosette.
In nature there are 130 species of flowers. Each of them has very beautiful leaves with a unique pattern.
Kinds of kalatei - beautiful, wonderful, decorated, striped, Makoy, Veich, Bachem, Burle-Marx, Varshevich, Zebrin, leopard, mosaic and others.
Features of the plant
The flower has such features:
- Inflorescences of the plant have an original structure. In nature, only the smallest bees can be pollinated.
- The leaves are always turned towards the sun.
- In the evening they go up, and in the morning they go down.
- Leaves always seem to move, so Kalatea received the second name - a prayer flower.
What loves and does not like kalatea?
This is a capricious and demanding flower. Kalatea has grown in Central and South America, which means that it needs a bright spot, but without direct sunlight. She also likes warmth, because her homeland is a warm place. The optimum temperature of the content is +20 ... + 22 °, but not lower than 18 ° and not higher than 25 °. It does not tolerate drafts, it does not tolerate dry air and the drying of the soil. It can not be placed near a heat source - a battery, a stove or a fireplace, and also on a cold sill. In the summer, too, do not take the flower on the balcony. Heat in the daytime and a drop in temperature at night is a stress for kalatei, which is sick from temperature changes. This applies to watering. You can not water Kalatea with cold water. It is best to use a slightly warm, steady water.
What else does not like kalatea? The leaves dry because of a lack or an excess of moisture. The soil under the flower should always be slightly moistened.
In kalatei, why do leaves dry and curl? Because this is a pretty whimsical plant. However, if a number of rules are observed, a favorable environment can be created.
- Find a half-dark place for kalatei. It can be a sideboard, a window sill, a closet or a bedside table. Remember that the darker the place, the thicker the leaves will grow. Therefore, from time to time expose the plant to light.
- Kalatea loves the moisture. So, in addition to watering, you will need a sprayer, with which 2-3 times a week you will moisturize the plant. It does not prevent kalatee and cleansing of leaves from dust with a sponge or a cotton-wool soaked in water. Use a moist peat. Place the pot with the plant in a moistened peat environment. However, one should be aware that overmoistening of the soil will lead to decay of the roots. Therefore, use these procedures infrequently.
- The peak of the growth of kalatei occurs in March-September. Therefore, in this period, you should regularly moisten the air and water the plant, maintaining the air temperature at a level of 17-18 degrees. In winter, the temperature should not fall below 16 degrees, but watering and moistening reduce.
- Never use hard water for irrigation. It is best to soften it with a bag of peat without fertilizers, leave a bucket of water for the night, and in the morning proceed to watering.
- Take care that during watering the water in the pot does not stagnate. This indicates an overabundance of moisture. In this case, excess water should be removed.
A few more simple rules.
- Kalatea does not like temperature changes, so if you have a steep rise and fall of the thermometer, it will affect the health of the plant.
- Do not move kalateju without special need, she does not like to adapt to new conditions.
- Do not overhydrate or dry the earthen. Otherwise, you will grow a kalatea, in which the leaves dry and curl.
- Kalatea does not like it when a lot of water gets on her leaves, so as carefully as possible water the plant.
- Every year in the spring it requires a transplant. For this purpose, a wide pot is suitable, at the bottom of which there must necessarily be drainage and soil for azaleas or rhododendrons.
- Feed the plant with fertilizers that do not contain lime or calcium salts. This should be done two weeks after the transplantation with a frequency of 1 every 2-3 weeks.
You can obey these rules, but what if the plants dry and twist the leaves, and you do not know how to help?
Kalatea: dry and twist leaves
This is a very beautiful plant. But what can unpleasantly surprise kalatei? The leaves dry and curl, they can turn yellow or pale, or even completely lose color. The tips can become dry and brown. Leaves are able to curl a tube or wilt, lose its elasticity and density. All problems with them arise due to the non-optimal air temperature, sunburn or lack of light, because of drafts.
The roots of the flower can rot from moisture overabundance. They are also sick, if the land under the kalatee is too dry, it is too moist. A flower loves constancy. In order for the roots to be always healthy, the soil must always be slightly moistened, but not wet or dry. Of course, the beauty of the leaves depends on the condition of the roots.
How to cure calathea?
If you get sick kalateya, dry and curlleaves, their ends become brittle and brown, then the plant needs to be resuscitated. For this you need to pay attention to three things: light, humidity and the presence of drafts.
Kalatea does not like to be hit by direct sunlight, but she can not do without light at all. So find the right place for it, and then you will avoid the problem of drying leaves.
In our apartments dry air reigns, whichcontra-indicated kalatee. Even if you regularly moisten the plant with sprinkles or wipe the leaves with a damp sponge, you will not solve the problem. You can teach kalateyu to the level of humidity in your apartment. Spray the plant, and then cover with polyethylene. Every day repeat the procedure, and then start to open the plant for 10 minutes, then for 30 and so on, gradually increasing the length of stay in the "open" air. Kalatea, whose leaves dry, quickly resuscitated.
Another reason for the drying of leaves ispresence of drafts. If on your windowsill the temperature is below 16 degrees, then you should not ask why the leaves of the kalatei are twisted. This is now obvious.
Kalatea, in which the leaves dry and curl,may also lack sunlight. This is a capricious plant, and the place of his stay you will have to establish by experience. It is important to find the golden mean. The flower should not overheat in the sun, be placed under direct sunlight, while it needs light. Collapsing leaves can, when the plant is very stuffy. In this case, you need to moisten not only the soil, but also the leaves, rearrange the flower from the window sill (especially in the summer) and ventilate the room well. But for the time of airing the flower should be removed from the window sill. This procedure should be repeated regularly, combining with feeding and sprinkling.